Home > FAQ > Flags/Insurance Cancellations
Q. What should I do if I receive an official notice of cancellation of liability insurance?
Provide proof that insurance (with a company authorized to write in Louisiana) was in effect at the time of cancellation
1. Surrender the license plate assigned to the vehicle within ten days from the date of the official cancellation notice.
2. An insurance cancellation can be cleared without a fee if acceptable compliance, as listed below, is submitted and indicates that the vehicle was disposed of within 10 days of the date of insurance cancellation, as reported by the insurance company.
3. If the documents listed above cannot be provided a fee will be due. In addition to the fee, one of the following must be provided:
1. Show proof of one of the following:
a. Bill of sale/ trade in documents / lease return
b. Total loss statement from the insurance company
c. Proof of repossession
d. Junked or salvaged receipt
e. Out of state registration
a. Proof of current insurance (with a company authorized to write in Louisiana)
b. Bill of sale/ trade in documents / lease return
c. Total loss statement from the insurance company
d. Proof of repossession
e. Junked or salvaged receipt
f. Out of state registration
g. Surrender the plate
Non-compliant Fee Schedule;
Up to 30 days - $125.00
31 to 90 days - $275.00
91 or more days - $525.00
A reinstatement cap of $850.00 will apply to those that choose to clear multiple insurance cancellations on the same day. In addition to the $850.00 cap a $25.00 administrative fee will be charged for each cancellation record. If you are 65 years of age or older, the cap is $250.00. The cap only applies to cancellations that have not been remitted to the Office of Debt Recovery.
Where can I clear my cancellation?
Office of Motor Vehicles
- By Phone - You may call (225) 925-6146 and select option 1. Please have your Louisiana driver’s license number available. Cancellations cleared over the phone with a credit or debit card will assess an additional $5.00 convenience fee.
- Reinstatement Office - You may also visit your local Motor Vehicle Reinstatement Offices. Forms of payment accepted in a Motor Vehicle Office will be cash, money order, cashier's check or certified check made payable to the Office of Motor Vehicles, or a credit or debit card. An additional $1.25 plus 1% of the total charge will be assessed. La R.S. 32:479 authorizes an additional office fee to be assessed for reinstatements processed by certain motor vehicle offices.
- By Mail: You may mail you fee to the Office of Motor Vehicles at:
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, La 70896
NOTE: You will not be able to renew your license plate or driver’s license until the flag is cleared.