Home > OMV Policy & Procedure: PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTER LICENSE PLATES
LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
|Section:||V Motor Vehicle License Plate Classifications & Requirements||Effective: || 11/05/1990|
PROFESSIONAL FIREFIGHTER LICENSE PLATES
To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/
To view Special Plates: http://omv.dps.state.la.us/
State law provides for the issuance of Professional Firefighter license plates. The license plates are issued to private passenger automobiles , vans, private trucks up to 16,000 lbs., motor homes, and motorcycles.
- Any active full-time professional firefighter is eligible for this type plate.
- A statement from the fire chief attesting to the applicant's status as an active full-time professional firefighter.
- A photocopy of the registration certificate of the vehicle on which the plate will be placed. OR
- A photocopy of the registration certificate of the vehicle on which the plate will be placed if the vehicle is currently registered in applicant's name. OR
- If the vehicle is not in the applicant's name, then all necessary documentation required for titling of the vehicle must be submitted along with the request for the Professional Firefighter license plate.
- The plate must be surrendered upon termination of service as a professional firefighter.
- $25.00 - one-time fee, in addition to regular registration fees, due at initial issuance.
- Regular renewal fees apply.
- $8.00 - handling fee due on all transactions except renewals.
- $3.50 - administrative handling fee due only on initial issuance.
- $3.00 - to transfer the plate to another vehicle in the applicant's name.
- Plates may be transferred from one vehicle in applicant's name to another vehicle in applicant's name, but cannot be transferred between owners.
- Plates are available for immediate issuance through the Specialized Vehicle Unit.
Initial requests must be mailed to the Office of Motor Vehicles, Specialized Vehicle Unit, P.O. Box 64886, Baton Rouge, LA 70896. All other transactions can be processed by any motor vehicle office or public tag agent.
Section IV 2.0 Basic Requirements for Obtaining a Certificate of Title
|    Back |