Home > OMV Policy & Procedure: FOREIGN TITLE HELD BY LIENHOLDER
LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
|Section:||IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements||Effective: || 05/01/1986|
FOREIGN TITLE HELD BY LIENHOLDER
To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/
R.S. 47:303 A(3)
R.S. 47:303 B (1) (b)
DEFINITION OF FOREIGN TITLE HELD BY LIENHOLDER
Louisiana law requires a new resident to this state to register his vehicle within 30 days of establishing residency. This requires surrendering the out of state title. If the vehicle is financed and is registered in a state where the lienholder receives and holds the title until the lien is satisfied, the vehicle must still be registered in Louisiana. This policy describes the procedure that allows the resident to properly register his vehicle if the out of state title is held by a lienholder.
In order to register the vehicle, the applicant must present one of the following as proof that the title is held by the lien holder:
- A non-negotiable copy of the out-of-state title showing a lien. This can be either the owner's copy or a photocopy furnished to him by the lienholder. All photocopies must have "COPY" written across the face of the title if a copy of the original title is submitted, OR
- A valid registration certificate indicating owner and lien information, OR
- A letter from the Motor Vehicle authority of the state which issued the title confirming the name of the owner, lien information and description of the vehicle, OR
- A copy of the "title application" filed in another state when that copy indicates that there is a lien and when that copy is validated by a Motor Vehicle or Revenue employee.
- EXCLUSION: Mississippi title applications are excluded as these are merely prepared by a dealer and have not necessarily been filed with the Mississippi Motor Vehicle Department.
- Applicants who are transferring vehicles from states that utilize Electronic Lien must submit one of the documents listed above.
Upon receipt of one of the items listed above and the additional documents listed below the vehicle may be registered
- A completed vehicle application form (DPSMV 1799).
- Proof of current liability insurance.
- title fee
- license fee
- applicable sales / use tax
Section IV 2.00 Basic Requirements for Titling a Vehicle
2.03 Completion of Vehicle Application (DPSMV 1799)
48.00 Out-of-State Transfers and Reciprocal Agreements With Other States
49.01 Sales Tax Exemptions for Lease/Rental Vehicles
|    Back |