Concealed Handguns Frequently Asked Questions

Q. My permit is going to expire. What do I need to do to keep my permit valid?

A. Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record (keep this updated at all times), approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of the permit.

If you have access to the internet; upon notification, download the application from the State Police website ( complete the renewal application, and submit your training certificate and the appropriate fees.

If you do not have access to the internet; please contact the Concealed Handgun Unit and request an application via telephone (225) 925-4867, go to your local library to use the computer or send your request for a packet to: Louisiana State Police, Concealed Handgun Permit Unit, P.O.Box 66375, Baton Rouge, LA 70896.

The fees for renewal applications are the same as an original, minus the additional $50.00 fee from those persons that have not resided in the state for the past fifteen (15) years, providing this fee was previously submitted with the original application.

(LAC 55:I:1307.D.1)

You must submit your application within 60 days of the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application.