LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
|Section:||IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements||Effective: || 11/01/2002|
To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/
MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION
R.S. 32:1301 - 1314
The Motor Vehicle Inspection Law states that every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer registered in this state shall bear a valid safety inspection certificate issued in the state of Louisiana, except as otherwise provided by R.S. 32:1311.
The following vehicles are exempt from obtaining a motor vehicle inspection:
- Farm tractors, self propelled farm equipment, rubber-tired farm wagons and carts, drawn rubber-tired farm equipment, and implements of husbandry designed primarily for field use.
- Single axle two wheel trailers
- Boat trailers
- Motor vehicles which are twenty five years old or older that are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades and tours and not for general transportation and which are registered and licensed as antique as provided for by R.S. 32:707(L).
- Vehicles which are designed to transport more than 15 passengers: such vehicles require a commercial MVI sticker.
- Vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more which are used in the transportation of hazardous materials or vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more. These type vehicles require a commercial MVI Sticker.
- Mini Trucks
- A Motor Vehicle Inspection station must possess a current license issued by the LA State Police Weights and Standards/ MVI Unit.
- A requisition for Inspection/Rejection Certificate (DPSMV 1018) must be completed and submitted by the station representative.
TERM OF MVI STICKER
Vehicle owners shall have the option to purchase a certificate of inspection that is valid for a duration of one year (12 months) or two years (24 months) if:
Vehicles domiciled in one of the five parishes designated as ozone non-attainment areas, that require emissions testing shall only be eligible to receive a certificate of inspection that is valid for the duration of one year (12 months). The five parishes currently designed as non-attainment areas are East Baton Rouge, West Baton Rouge, Ascension, Iberville, and Livingston.
- The vehicle is domiciled in a parish that does not require emissions testing.
- The vehicle is domiciled in a non-attainment area and does not require emissions testing. Vehicles exempt from emissions testing are:
- Vehicles manufactured prior to 1980
- Any vehicle that are not gasoline- fueled vehicles such as diesel vehicles
- Trailers that do not fall under the commercial inspection guidelines
- Vehicles with a gvwr over 10,000 pounds
- Monthly inserts will be issued for each book.
- Stations must specify to the office which monthly inserts are needed.
- If an office runs out of monthly inserts, the station may use the stamp kit.
Each book contains twenty-five (25) stickers and are sold at the following rates:
- $131.25 1 year regular MVI
- $262.50 2 year MVI
- $156.25 Commercial
- $ 8.00 Handling Fee is collected on each sale regardless of the number of books purchased.
- No charge for Rejections (If no other items are purchased, the $8.00 handling fee is collected)
EMISSIONS CONTROL STICKERS
- Emissions Control stickers are sold for East Baton Rouge, West Baton Rouge, Ascension, Livingston and Iberville parishes.
- These parishes are required to perform additional emissions testing due to environmental concerns.
- Yearly inserts will be issued with each book of regular and commercial inspection stickers.
- If a station has lost or damaged his yearly inserts, he must contact the Towing and Recovery Section of State Police for assistance.
- A special emissions insert is issued in addition to the MVI sticker.
The emission inserts are sold in sets of twenty-five (25).
- $50.00 - per set
- $8.00 - handling fee per order.
MVI ISSUANCE OFFICES:
|Amite||Deridder ||Jonesville||New Iberia||Springhill|
|Baker||Farmerville||Lake Charles||Oak Grove||Tallulah|
|Baton Rouge ||Gonzales||Livingston||Opelousas||Vidalia|
|Breaux Bridge||Hammond||Many||Port Allen||West Monroe|
For information concerning MVI classes, signs, etc., or for reports of stolen stickers, refer MVI stations to LSP Weights and Standards/MVI Unit.at (225) 925-6113 ext 205.