Section:IV Motor Vehicle Registration RequirementsEffective: 09/30/1985
Number:42.01Revised: 05/06/2013

To view Louisiana Statutes:

R.S. 32:706.1
R.S. 32:707
R.S. 32:707.5

Salvaged Vehicle - A motor vehicle which has sustained damages equivalent to seventy-five percent or more of the market value as determined by the most current National Automobile Dealers Association Handbook. A salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored before it can be registered to operate on the highways. A title must be issued with the "reconstructed" brand.

After a salvaged vehicle has been rebuilt or restored, the following items must be submitted to re-title the vehicle:
  • One of the following Salvage/Reconstructed Title Documents
    • A properly endorsed Louisiana salvage vehicle title, original certificate of salvage, or an out-of-state salvage title, along with notarized bills of sale for a complete chain of ownership
    • An out-of-state salvage title branded "Unrebuildable," "Unrepairable," etc. cannot be accepted for retitling in Louisiana as a salvage or reconstructed title, unless the Polk book indicates otherwise.
    • A Texas "Nonrepairable Certificate of Title - 95% or More of Vehicle's Actual Cash Value" issued after 9/1/2003 cannot be rebuilt or issued a reconstructed title.
    • If a California Certificate of Title is submitted with a"Salvaged" brand, the vehicle has already been reconstructed and no statement of repairs is needed to brand the Louisiana Certificate of Title as "Reconstructed. However, if a California Salvage Certificate is submitted, the vehicle is still considered salvaged and has not been repaired.
  • An Affidavit of Physical Inspection. The physical inspection must be performed by a full-time Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified law enforcement officer who has been certified by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Police, to inspect motor vehicles.
    • Some or all of the vehicles presented for inspection may be selected for inspection of the vehicle's major component parts which have been repaired or replaced as part of the rebuilding process to determine that the vehicle information contained in the application and supporting documents is true and correct
  • Bill of sale for the vehicle.
  • An Application for a Salvage-Reconstructed Motor Vehicle. This form includes the following sections:
    1. Owner Information
    2. Vehicle Information
    3. Rebuilder Information
    4. A statement of repairs indicating that the vehicle has been repaired
    5. Disclosure of Salvage/Reconstructed/Water Damaged/Hail-Damged
      • Failure to complete the disclosure statement will result in the file being rejected.
  • A reconstructed parts list. This form must indicate all major component parts replaced in the reconstruction of the vehicle. For each part the following will be required:
      • If the major component part was removed from another vehicle the VIN for the donor vehicle must be indicated on the form.
      • The person from whom the major component part was purchased
      • The date the major component part was purchased.
      • If no major component parts were used in the repair of the vehicle, the corresponding box must be selected on the Reconstructed Parts List DPSMV1635.
  • A bill of sale as evidence of acquisition for all major component parts used to restore the vehicle. If a receipt is unable to be provided for the part(s) utilized to restore the vehicle, a notarized affidavit must be submitted.
      • If a vehicle branded as “salvage” is purchased after vehicle repairs are made, and the purchaser is not able to provide receipts of the repairs, an affidavit to that effect may be submitted in lieu of receipts and the parts list.
  • All files containing a Replacement of VIN Plate form (DPSSP 3512) must be forwarded to the Specialized Vehicle Unit, Headquarters Services,for processing since replacing parts resulted in the removal of the public (VIN) identification plate.
  • An application (DPSMV 1799) for title.
  • Applicable fees and taxes.

  • An out-of-state certificate of destruction cannot be accepted for a reconstructed title or any type of title in this state.
  • An out-of-state title with the brand of "Bonded Title" or "Bonded Vehicle Title" cannot be accepted for any type of title in this state.
  • If the only major component changed on a pickup truck is the cab, the vehicle shall be branded reconstructed utilizing the VIN from the frame. If a salvage title was not issued for the frame vehicle, a permit to dismantle shall be issued.
  • No vehicle with a reconstructed title shall be issued a license plate to operate as a motor carrier of passengers or as a public carrier vehicle.

Section IV 42.00 Certificates of Salvage
42.20 Out-of-State Titles Branded "Reconstructed", "Rebuilt", "Reconditioned"
42.30 Insurance Settlements When Damage Is Less than 75% Damage
42.40 Salvage Retention (Administrative Procedure)
42.50 Hail Damaged Vehicles
43.00 Supporting Documents Indicate Vehicle May Be Total Loss
76.00 Water Damaged Vehicles
97.00 Cancelled and/or Rescinded Sales

Application for Salvage-Reconstructed-Water Damaged-Hail Damaged Motor Vehicle rev 0213.pdf Reconstructed Parts List 02-2013.pdf