LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
|Section:||IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements||Effective: || 05/01/1986|
To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/
ACT OF DONATION
CIVIL CODE 1550
LA Department of Revenue
DEFINITION OF DONATION
A donation is an authentic act executed before a notary in the presence of two witnesses transferring the ownership of a vehicle with no monetary exchange.
- Current certificate of title assigned before a notary by donor to donee. If a lien is recorded on the title, it must be properly released.
- Authentic act of donation. (Sample form attached).
- If the vehicle is less than ten (10) years old and the back of the title does not contain an odometer disclosure statement, a supplemental odometer statement must be submitted.
- Vehicle Application (DPSMV 1799)
- Fees - title fee, handling fee, license plate/transfer fee, lien recordation fee (if applicable).
- Proof of current liability insurance coverage if a license plate is issued.
- Taxes are due if a UCC-1 form or other security agreement is submitted in conjunction with an act of donation.
- If an existing mortgage is being assumed, the donor can donate his equity in the vehicle; however, sales or use tax is due on the unpaid principal balance of the mortgage.
- Exception: No taxes are due if an existing mortgage is being assumed by a spouse / surviving spouse or if the vehicle is included in a property settlement.
SECTION IV 2.00 Basic Requirements for Obtaining a Certificate of Title
37.00 Transfer of Equity or Sale with Assumption of Mortgage or Security Agreement
47.00 Sales Tax on Vehicle Transfers
74.00 Property Settlements