LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
|Section:||IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements||Effective: || 05/01/1986|
To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/
ACT OF DONATION
CIVIL CODE 1550
LA Department of Revenue
DEFINITION OF DONATION
A donation is an authentic act executed before a notary in the presence of two witnesses transferring the ownership of a vehicle with no monetary exchange.
- Current certificate of title assigned before a notary by donor to donee. If a lien is recorded on the title, it must be properly released.
- Authentic act of donation. A sample form is attached.
- If the vehicle is less than ten (10) years old and the back of the title does not contain an odometer disclosure statement, a supplemental odometer statement must be submitted.
- Vehicle Application (DPSMV 1799)
- Fees - title fee, handling fee, license plate/transfer fee, lien recordation fee (if applicable).
- Proof of current liability insurance coverage if a license plate is issued.
Sales/use tax is due on the following transaction:
Sales/use tax is not due on the following transactions:
- outstanding principal when assuming a mortgage unless being assumed by a spouse
- transfer by an affidavit of heirship
- transfer by a divorce decree
- transfer by a judgment of possession
SECTION IV 2.00 Basic Requirements for Obtaining a Certificate of Title
37.00 Transfer of Equity or Sale with Assumption of Mortgage or Security Agreement
47.00 Sales Tax on Vehicle Transfers
74.00 Property Settlements